Electric Vehicle Charger Rebate
Thinking about buying an electric vehicle charger for your home? You could get $250 back on select chargers when you participate in smart charging through GridShift.
36% of greenhouse gas emissions come from the cars we drive info. Driving an electric vehicle (EV) reduces emissions and comes with other financial and performance benefits – adding a smart charger makes fueling up at home quick and easy.
It pays to charge your vehicle with GridShift
If your vehicle is not already compatible with the SVCE GridShift smart charging app, you can receive a $250 rebate when you purchase select chargers, download the GridShift App, and give smart charging a go. GridShift will work with the charger to automatically charge your EV during off-peak times when the California grid has a high amount of renewable power – getting you a cheaper, cleaner charge.
Eligible Electric Vehicles
BMW, Chevy Bolt and Volt, Tesla, Volkswagen e-golf, Ford F-150 Lightning, and Mach-E are already compatible with the GridShift app – you can start smart charging today! Any EV make and model other than the ones listed above are eligible for the $250 charger rebate.
Please see Equipment Specifications for more details.
1. Set up the charger at your home (L2 chargers may require professional installation).
2. Download the GridShift App and complete two managed charging sessions.
How it Works
STEP 1: Reserve Your Charger Rebate.
Submit a Rebate Reservation Application. You will receive a confirmation email when approved and will then have 60 days to submit a Rebate Claim.
STEP 2: Purchase the Right Equipment.
- Charger: Purchase a new SmartenIt ev.energy compatible L1/L2 charger (model #4500) or WiFi-enabled Home Flex ChargePoint Charger. Please see Equipment Specifications for more details.
- Electric Vehicle Eligibility: The charger rebate is available for electric vehicles that are not currently compatible with the GridShift app. Please see Equipment Specifications for more details.
- Have questions? Email us at SVCEPrograms@smud.org
STEP 3: Download the App and Charge.
- Download the GridShift App (App Store and Play Store)
- Create an account. You will also be asked to verify you are an SVCE customer and connect your EV charger.
- Set a ready-by-time and let the app take care of the rest. Make sure to complete two managed charging sessions before moving on to the next step. Learn more about the GridShift App here.
STEP 4: Receive Your Rebate.
Submit a Rebate Claim. You’ll be asked to provide receipts and photos. We will send you a confirmation email when your claim is approved. Once approved, you will receive a rebate check in the mail.
Need More Help?
- Send your questions to SVCEPrograms@smud.org
- For technical support on the GridShift App, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I’ve already purchased a qualifying charger but have not yet completed a managed charging session?
As long as you purchased the charger after 12/31/2022, you will still qualify for the rebate after downloading the GridShift App and completing two managed charging sessions.
No, the App is free in both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
No, using the GridShift app is free.
No, as long as the charging events occur before you submit your claim you will still receive the rebate.
No, rebates are limited to 1 per household.
Yes, if you can charge within 500 ft of your home residence listed on your GridShift account when you register the charger, and your charger has internet connection for our platform to communicate with the hardware.
Level 1 chargers can be plugged into any standard 120V outlet and averages 5 miles per hour charged.
Level 2 chargers need a 240V outlet, and may require a permit and electrician to install it, and off averages 20 miles per hour charged.